I am trying out the new feature Guid="*" as described on
http://installing.blogspot.com/2006/09/automatically-generating-component.html

I got some questions:
In the blog beta-testers are encouraged to try it out:
When using it a warning is shown, that this is experimental.
Among others it claims that it (the generated GUID, I guess) can
"COLLIDE WITH OTHER COMPANY'S PRODUCTS"

Is that possible? it of course depends on the generation
algorithm. Derek does not ellaborate to much on this:
Basically he says that it is "based on a predetermined Wix namespace
Guid and the [canonicall] path to the file."

Derek encourage users to "Review the overall design for this
feature.".

In an attempt to review this design, I would ask someone to say some
more on this desgin?

Questions are:
*) Is canonical path and wix namespace te only input to the alforithm, or
is there some randomish included as well? Answer is probably yes.
*) Does that mean that rebuilding the MSI file with same canonical
paths, yield the same GUID? Answer is probably no?
*) I suggest that the content (could be md5sum of content) of the key
path file should also be an input to the algorithm. This means that
e.g. rebuilding a DLL (with even just the smallest change in source
code), will result in a new component GUID.

Would it be an idea to seperate this feature out to an separate
external tool to compute such Guid? Name suggestions "match.exe" or
"spark.exe"

Jarl

--
Jarl Friis