-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike
Dimmick
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 3:27 PM
To: 'Chuck'; wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Registering an OCX with Wix v3?

Heat attempts to run the DLL's DllRegisterServer function and then work
out what it did. Like most reverse engineering, it's not very reliable,
and it's heavily dependent on the DllRegisterServer code working
correctly in the unusual, artificial environment that Heat creates. This
is done both to filter out everything that's already present in the
registry, and to stop the DLL's changes from being applied to the real
registry.

It's far better to work out what registry settings it's going to create
and author the appropriate WiX script yourself. This is obviously more
work.

An OCX is simply a DLL with a different extension. There's no real
reason for the changed extension. You can implement ActiveX controls in
a DLL file and OCX files don't necessarily contain any ActiveX controls.
The MFC ActiveX project wizards normally sets the extension to OCX,
while ATL doesn't bother.

--
Mike Dimmick