  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mailinglist
Sent: 20 April 2007 12:52
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Using .NET 2.0 Managed Custom Actions

Hello WiX-users,

because we needed to use managed custom actions in our setup, I searched
around the net for a real solution to this.

I found two projects ([1],[2]),  that followed quite good ideas, but both
did not work out of the box or only under special circumstances. So I
combined them both to something working.

Simply, we now use a custom action to start a C++ library, that hosts the
CLR, loads a specified assembly and calls a class that needs to implement a
small interface. From inside that class the installer context can be used to
fill properties, etc.

Since the demo code package is 3 MB, I uploaded it to Rapidshare [3] as well
as to my blog [4].

Greetings,

Oliver Friedrich

Consultant - Software Solutions

[1] "Hosting the CLR within a custom action" - Pablo M. Cibaro -
http://weblogs.asp.net/cibrax/archive/2005/04/11/399839.aspx

[2] "Wrapping the Windows Installer 2.0 API" -
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/msiinterop.asp

[3] Rapidshare Download Link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/26953203/ManagedCustomActions.zip.html

[4] Blogentry: http://www.forestwalk.de/?p=31