You have the right idea... use the binary tag to put the file in the
binary table and then reference that binary with your custom action
using the binarykey="<id of binary file>" entry.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steve S
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:18 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Referencing a not yet installed file in a custom
action

Hey all,

I've got an issue where I need to reference a file in my install that is
used in a custom action that I've got.  The install is a web install and
therefore I can't refer to the file as if it were on a CD or any media.
Problem is that the custom action needs to happen *before* the
InstallFiles
action, so I can't refer to the installed location to find the file.

Does anybody know how I can accomplish this?  I've tried to mess around
with
the Binary tag and passing some reference in there through the
CustomActionData to no avail.

Appreciate the help :)

Steve