The scenario is that my target machine has two websites as follows:

Default Web Site, IP Address - All Unassigned, Port - 80, Status
(STOPPED)
My Website, IP Address - All Unassigned, Port - 80, Status (STARTED)

Therefore they are identical but the default site is stopped (I know
that the default web site should probably be deleted but this is not
within my control).

I am attempting to create a new virtual directory within My Website and
therefore I reference it as follows:

    <!-- Reference to website -->
    <WebSite Id='MyWebSite' Description='My Website'>
      <WebAddress Id='MyWebsiteAddr' Port='80' />
    </WebSite>

The problem I am having is that my virtual is always created within the
default web site. If I change the Port or IP Address of the default web
site then it is created within my website as expected (but this is not
something I can do in production). Therefore the behaviour seems to be
that the website lookup is done using IP Address and Port only (i.e.
Description is ignored), and that the first IIS web site found that
matches will be used (Default Web Site in this case as it is instance
1).

Is there a way to do a more exact match to ensure that my virtual is
always created within the correct website.

As always any feedback would be most appreciated.

One thing I should mention here is that I have only tested this on XP
(using IISAdmin.Net to replicate sites), I have not yet tested on 2003

.