I had a similar problem a while back when I was trying to get dxsetup.exe to
run with a custom action.  I had made all the required dlls and cabs as
binaries and it couldn't find them.  I never found a way to make it extract
all the binaries or to use multiple binaries in a custom action.  I decided
instead I would just create an exe with the files embedded and extract and
run them from the temp directory which I think is similar to what your
second option is.