I had seen one product that used DemoShield and I knew that DemoShield was
no longer available. But I hadn't found that Installsite link you gave.

Thanks Friedrich!

Jim

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Friedrich
Brunzema
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:45 AM
To: WixUsers
Subject: [WiX-users] Building a setup.exe

Hi Jim,

it would seem that you are talking about a CD-browser-like functionality.
In the past we have used DemoShield (no longer available) from Installshield
to do this.  There are a couple of freeware/shareware ones available, a good
list is shown on installsite.com
[http://installsite.org/pages/en/tt_cdbrowse.htm].  In the past, I have
written a launcher in c++ to do prerequisite installs -- the important thing
to watch out for these kinds of tools is the prerequisites that must exist
on the machine before your launcher starts.  You have to assume that the
machine you are inserting the CD into has just been installed and has no
.NET framework (if XP), no service packs, no updated C++ runtime, not visual
basic runtime etc.  Be sure to test on a new, "virgin" OS installation
either on a Virtual box or on a real one.  Testing this sort of stuff with a
Virtualization environment (especially VMWare, where you can do a whole
bunch of stuff, and then just not commit, but revert back to the original),
is a real timesaver.

Hope this helps,

Friedrich Brunzema

  _____