I have had some similar problems with installing services and they are
not necessarily related to the current install.

My scenario:

1.      Install a service
2.      Do update install of new version with incorrect account or
password - the install fails and rolls back
3.      Retry install with correct account and password.  Install fails
complaining that I may not have sufficient privileges to install.

It turned out that the update install did not completely remove the
service entries. All of the files are removed during the rollback, but
the service table still contains the ervice entry (pointing at a
non-existant exe).

The ServiceManager GUI could not remove these bogus service entries.
However, when I used the SC command (SC DELETE servicename), it removed
the service and the next install attempt succeeded.