Just FYI - The WiX toolset is used to help write custom MSI packages but still
need to follow the underlying Windows Installer rules and guidelines. I don't
think the issues that you are mentioning are "issues" that pertain only to WiX

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dong Fang Xie
(Excell Data Corporation)
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:04 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Some STUPID Limitations in WiX

I'm working on a small and simple installer using WiX toolset (the latest
stable version 2.0.3719.0). To my surprise, it is really very very tough !!  It
almost drove me crazy.  I really don't understand why there are so many stupid
limitations:

LIMIT 1:
Since FileSearch, DirectorySearch, RegistrySearch are WiX elements, Why there
is no ProcessSearch or TaskSearch ?!    I need to know whether a specific
process is running before installation/uninstallation.

LIMIT 2:
If all files in a msi package are from different small projects, I can build a
module for each small project, and create a main wxs file to merge all modules.
It should be a good idea, but how can I use the files from different modules ?
There is no way for now. I must control all custom actions in the main wxs
file, and some custom actions need a FileKey to a file in a module. I cannot
distribute all cutom actions in different modules, if I do so, how can I
control the InstallSequence ? Using stupid numbers?

LIMIT 3:
I defined a dialog which must be shown not only during installation but also
during uninstallation. But how to make it shown during uninstallation ?  the
UILevel will be set to basic UI or no UI automatically by msiexec.exe.  How can
I beg Windows NOT do that for me? I can use command "msiexec /qf /x msifile",
but how can I know my customer can do that each time they want to uninstall the
msi file ?  Is there any way I can define UILevel of uninstallation inside msi
file ?

WiX is a very good toolset, but far from perfect !  I bet the developers of WiX
toolset have never built a powerful installer for customers.  I will never know
the limit if I wasn't assigned the job to build a small and simple installer.

I noticed that there are some extensions in WiX 3.0, but it is still far from
enough.

For LIMIT 1, I've built my own dll to detect running processes. But how to
break LIMIT 2 and LIMIT 3 ?  Can you guys give me some ideas ?

Thanks in advance