Hina,

It sounds as if what you really want is a standard preprocessor
variable.

Try something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<?ifndef HelpSourceFolder?>
<?define HelpSourceFolder=C:\SomeFolder\Path?>
<?endif ?>

<File Id='tutorial' Name='tutorial.pdf' DiskId='1'
Source='$(var.HelpSourceFolder)\tutorial.pdf' Vital='no' />

The <?ifndef XXXX?> mechanism shown above allows you to specify a
default value for the setting, and also override that setting from the
command line using (for example) candle
-dHelpSourceFolder=d:\New\Help\Source yourfile.wxs.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Richard