Hello List,

I'm trying to build multiple similar setups (Pro, Standard, Base) of
our product from a single WiX sources. And I'm trying to keep guids
whenever possible.

Bob Arnson wrote earlier in this list that guids are product-global
and it's ok to keep the same guids, but when products are installed
into different directories.

Currently my investigations show most components are really
product-global while some component types do not. Non-advertised
shortcuts and CU registry keys are not uninstalled when another
product that has the same components with the same guids is installed
in different directory.

E.g. we have two products, Pro and Base, both have My.exe with
non-advertised shortcut pointing on it. Both exe files have the same
guid and both shortcuts have the same (but different) guid.

Program Files\My Product Pro\My.exe
StartMenu\Programs\My Product Pro\My Product Shortcut.lnk
HKCU\My Product Pro\ShortcutKeyPath

Program Files\My Product Base\My.exe
StartMenu\Programs\My Product Base\My Product Shortcut.lnk
HKCU\My Product Base\ShortcutKeyPath

1. Install Pro into Program Files\My Product Pro
2. Install Base into Program Files\My Product Base
3. Uninstall Base (StartMenu\Programs\My Product Base\My Product
Shortcut.lnk remains and it has Action: Null in the log)
4. Uninstall Pro (Pro\Shortcut to My.exe uninstalled)

I use MSI 3.01

Could someone comment on this?

Best regards,
Ilya Slobodin