Richard wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>     Adam Majer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes:
>
>> How can I structure this such that the merge module is installed
>> completely prior to installing the component?
>
> In addition to what Bob Arnson said, check your install execute
> sequence and look at the relative ordering of the standard actions
> that manipulate services and those that install the files.
>
> The canonical sequence has the sequence of: stop services, install
> files, start services, so you should be OK.
>
> How did you determine that your service didn't start because of
> missing runtime files?

Vista says that SxS (Visual C runtime 8.0 from VS 2005 SP1) is not
available. Starting a configuration utility that depends on the same SxS
indicated that there is a SxS installation error. If I do not attempt to
start the service in the installer, I can run the configuration utility
or the service after installation is complete.

While searching the archives, I came across a response by Rob Mensching
that appears to address the same problem.

"Usually, this means your service has some dependency that hasn’t been
completely installed by the time StartServices is called.  A favorite
way to hit this is to have a managed code service that depends on an
assembly that is being installed to the GAC.  Because assemblies aren’t
committed to the GAC until InstallFinalize, the assembly won’t be found
in the GAC until the install is complete."

Moving the StartService after InstallFinalize didn't work - got an error
that didn't even rollback :) Kind of expected.

I'll try to install as a local assembly in addition to the merge module
and see what happens.

- Adam