I found this post - which is very helpful:
http://blogs.msdn.com/robmen/archive/2006/10/17/wix-v3-syntax-for-detecting-the-clr.aspx

However, I've read that .NET 2.0 applications will work with .NET 2.0,
.NET 3.0, or .NET 3.5 installed (as they all use the same core CLR 2.0).

Is the NETFRAMEWORK20 variable defined for machines that have ONLY .NET
3.0, or ONLY .NET 3.5?

If not, what's the recommended best practice for requiring anything that
can run 2.0 code, in other words, ".NET 2.0 or higher"?

Thanks,
Kelly Leahy
Milliman, Inc.

This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Unless indicated
to the contrary: it does not constitute professional advice or
opinions upon which reliance may be made by the addressee or any
other party, and it should be considered to be a work in progress.
Unless stated otherwise, this communication does not form a prescribed
statement of actuarial opinion under American Academy of Actuaries
guidelines.