> Just as a side note, cygwin and sed (what you seem to be
> using) are both licensed under GPL license hence you are
> required to provide source code access to all customers using
> the software (installer is also software), including any
> modifications. Furthermore, the installer would need to be
> rebuildable with the modified sed files (if customers wants
> to do that for whatever reason) so source code/object code of
> the wix would need to be provided as well.

Adam,

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't believe that this interpretation is
correct.

The GPL talks about derived works, and I don't believe that using sed in
your installer makes your installer a derived work of sed. This quote
from Wikipedia is helpful: "The program must be GPL only if it includes
GPL source code or it is linked with a GPL library" (with the usual
provisos about relying on Wikipedia).

You would have to comply with the provisions about supplying source code
to sed, but you it is sufficient to provide a written offer to supply
the source code on demand:

    "Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange"

Regards,
John