Short version:
Is there any way to override what seems to be the default behavior and
force Wix/msi to install additional file elements in an assembly
Component into the WinSxS folder even though they aren't included in
the main file's manifest? Or alternately are there any kind and
generous souls out there who know how to correctly combine several
dlls into one multifile assembly using mt.exe , makecat and signtool?

Long version:
I've got a couple legacy dlls that I'm trying to include as
Side-by-side assemblies. I've gone through this process with other
files just fine before. The problem in this case is that one of the
dlls tries to load the others directly via LoadLibrary, and after
digging through the code a little it seems that changing that behavior
would cascade into rewriting the whole library. Making them into a
multifile assembly seems like it would work, but all the instructions
for making those are for C# code compiled with .NET, no explanation
about how to handle legacy code.

This would seem like an occasion to just give up on the whole assembly
idea, but I happened to discover while testing an installation that if
i just copy DLLs 2 and 3 to the Side-by-side folder for DLL 1 then the
whole thing works. So if I can just get Wix to put the files there
everything will be great.

However I've run into issues trying to get the files to install in
that manner. If i add the files to the dll 1 Component then the log
file says things like:

MSI (s) (5C:A8) [13:44:49:394]: Executing op:
AssemblyCopy(SourceName=DLL2.dll|DLL2I.dll,SourceCabKey=DLL2FileLocal.D0119AF2_xxxx_xxxx_xxxx_xxxxxxxxxxxx,DestName=DLL2.dll,Attributes=16384,FileSize=57344,PerTick=32768,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,ComponentId={7049DC30-651B-427D-A90B-3FAF27B23C27},,,,AssemblyMode=0,)
MSI (s) (5C:A8) [13:44:49:394]: Source for file
'DLL2FileLocal.D0119AF2_xxxx_xxxx_xxxx_xxxxxxxxxxxx' is compressed
InstallFiles: File: DLL2.dll, Directory: , Size: 57344

However nothing actually gets copied the DLL1 side-by-side folder
except for DLL1 itself.

I then tried changing the DLL1 manifest to include DLLs 2 and 3. That
either causes an installation error:
Error 1935. An error occured during the installation of assembly
component {7049DC30-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}. HRESULT: 0x800736CC.
assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, assembly
name:
DLL1,version="1.0.0.0",type="win32",processorArchitecture="X86",publicKeyToken="0301xxxxxxxxxxxx"

Or it _does_ cause them to get copied over to the DLL1 side-by-side
folder, but then my program can't find DLL1 anymore for reasons I
can't figure out. (Depends says the Side-by-Side configuration has an
error, but when I right click on DLL1.dll in the depends file window
and select Properties it can find the file in WinSxS just fine.)
(The difference between the two problems is at what point I embed the
modified manifest file into the original DLL1 file using mt.exe)

I will be much obliged to anyone who can clear any of this mess up.