We will be doing a change that will probably affect most users of WiX v3, so
I wanted to get this notice out in the community to notify people of the
upcoming change. Within the next few weeks we will be changing the file
extension of WiX extensions from .dll to .wixext. There are several reasons
why we think this is an important thing to do, which I've blogged about.
Please see
http://blogs.msdn.com/jrock/archive/2008/02/13/changing-the-file-extension-o
f-wix-extensions-from-dll-to-wixext.aspx for more information and how this
change will affect you.

How Does this Affect You?

If you use any of the standard WiX custom action extensions, then you'll
have to change your build scripts to reference the new names. If you use
MSBuild or Votive, then you'll have to change any references you have in
your .wixproj files (<WixExtension> elements). You can do this manually by
hand-editing the .wixproj file or you can do this by removing the old
references (right mouse click and select "Remove") and then re-adding them.

<ItemGroup>

    <WixExtension Include="$(ProgramFiles)\Windows Installer XML
v3\bin\WixIIsExtension.wixext" />

</ItemGroup>

We will also try to put out a similar reference for NMake and NAnt when the
feature gets checked in.

As always, feel free to send comments. We sent out a proposal for this
change on the wix-users list about a month or so ago and got no negative
feedback, so we've decided to go ahead with the change.

Thanks,

Justin