I've got several services I'm trying to install. If I add
"Start='install'" to the ServiceControl element then it will try to
start them, but it will almost always fail with a 1920 error. I'm
pretty sure this is because some of the services are dependent on
side-by-side assemblies that are being installed at the same time and
so won't be available until the install actually finishes.

However is there a way to make it so that it will attempt to start the
services but _not_ force a rollback if it fails? There are at least
some circumstances where the assemblies might already have been
installed by another package and it would be nice to at least make the
attempt. There doesn't seem to be any "Vital" attribute for the
ServiceControl element that I can set to "no." There is a "Vital" for
ServiceInstall, but I can't set that to "no" even if it would fix the
above problem, because it _is_ vital that they at least install
properly, even if they don't start right away, and the same goes for
"ErrorControl" in the ServiceInstall element as well I think.

As an added bonus, if the above can be done is there also a way to do
the service start step silently? We're expecting it to fail most of
the time so there's no need to pop up an error message about it if it
does.

Thanks!

And here's the code I've got in case it matters:

<ServiceInstall Id="SystemServiceInstall"
DisplayName="$(loc.IDS_SERVER) $(var.MAJORVER).$(var.MINORVER)"
Description="$(loc.IDS_SERVER_SERVICE)
$(var.MAJORVER).$(var.MINORVER)" Name="ServerService"
ErrorControl="normal" Start="auto" Type="ownProcess" Vital="yes">
        <ServiceDependency Id ="HTTP" />
</ServiceInstall>

<ServiceControl Id="SystemServiceControl" Name="ServerService"
Start="install" Stop="uninstall" Remove="uninstall" />