Bob Arnson wrote:

> The only thing I can think of is a custom action that adds your property

> to the SecureCustomProperties property. You'd have to play around with

> the sequencing to find the right timing.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. I saw the same suggestion made
<http://forum.installsite.net/index.php?showtopic=15935>  by Stefan. I
wasn't able to get it working, though.

I tried using a type 51 custom action during the UI sequence to append the
property (the full merge module property name, including the MSM suffix) to
SecureCustomProperties. I couldn't find any information on when to schedule
it, so I ran it as the first item in the UI sequence. While the MSI's
SecureCustomProperties property was correctly updated, it didn't seem to
have any effect on the merge module's public property being disallowed.
Since it works if the property is added to SecureCustomProperties in the MSI
directly (using Orca), I'm assuming that it's too late once the installation
has started?

Anyway, my conclusion: I couldn't get it to work, so I changed the merge
module authoring to remove the FileSearch. Should work fine for our needs,
but I'm glad it's nothing more complex, because I think the same issue would
affect RegistrySearch, which is pretty essential MSI stuff!

Daryn.

p.s. For what it's worth, two other points of interest if anyone else looks
into this problem:

-        Running the repair using the original MSI in a different folder
causes the UAC prompt, which allows the public properties get passed to the
execute sequence.

-        There's a
<http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2941031&SiteID=1>
discussion on the MDSN forums about trusted repairs/changes -- behaviour
that surprised me -- in which one MSFT commenter referred to marking a
product ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT and creating your own custom legacy UNINSTALL key
reference that points to your boostrapper (that could require elevation).
Too complex a workaround for me, but I thought it was interesting.