DEXK JAHN, GXbor wrote:
> I admin a list where new people are set to moderated until their
> first post, then it can be decided whether to accept and liberate the
> user or to remove it as spam. But this requires extra human work and
> I don't know if SourceForge supports this at all (besides, everything
> should work by e-mail, by replying to prefabricated e-mail addresses
> in notification letters, going to a web site to change settings would
> be far more hassle). But, as far as I can tell, relatively few
> spammers take the trouble to join a list. Here, they have to provide
> a valid e-mail address, reply to a confirmation mail, and then send
> the spam from the same address, then unsubscribe (but chances are it
> will be removed, anyway, by an admin). Yes, it can be done using
> disposable addresses but spam usually arrives by the single action of
> blindly targeting the list address (probably among a million other
> addresses, not sent specifically here), harvested from somewhere on
> the web.

I do something similar but it's an automatic system.  If an unsubscribed
user posts then on their first post they get an email asking if they
really wanted to post to the mailing list (with link to normal legal
stuff saying it's public information etc. - we have had the odd occasion
of people who think that I can magically remove their posts from the
inboxes of everyone on the list!).  This has eliminated incoming email
spam.  As a support list requiring registration is unacceptable in my case.

Confirmation emails are tricky - The server takes measures to make sure
it's not replying automatically to an obvious fake address.. the normal
spamassassin, sender verification, SPF, etc. checks are made but I'm
sure the system could be gamed (although to what end I'm not sure).

OTOH I doubt sourceforge can be configured to do anything that
sophisticated.  You probably have the ability to set it to members only
and that's about it.

Tony