The -val switch is actually to set transform validation flags and has
nothing to do with validation during generation. See
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2007/09/13/transform-validation-in-wix-patch-build.aspx
for
more information about that feature.

Have you defined patch families in your patch authoring? If you don't or if
you don't reference all the right fragments, the content of those fragments
is ignored. You can find more information about patch families at
http://blogs.msdn.com/pmarcu/archive/2007/04/27/wix-patchfamily-patch-filtering.aspx,
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2007/05/08/patch-families-can-only-ever-grow.aspx,
and
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/01/14/patch-families-in-wix-and-windows-installer.aspx