Thanks.  I tried the following wix xml settings to get LaunchConditions running
after CostFinalize and it generated the noted compile errors.   I switched to
use of the CustomAction Error= approach also shown below that you suggested and
got the desired result.  Question - is the reason for sequencing the execution
of a customaction in both InstallUISequence And InstallExecuteSequence so that
you cover both interactive and unattended installs?   In the case of an
interactive install do the sequenced customactions then end up running twice,
i.e. once during interactive UI portion of install and then again when user
selects finish and installer server processing gets carried out?

<InstallUISequence>
    <CostFinalize Before="LaunchConditions" />
    <!--<LaunchConditions After="CostFinalize" />-->
<InstallExecuteSequence>
    <CostFinalize Before="LaunchConditions" />
    <!--<LaunchConditions After="CostFinalize" />-->
The CostFinalize element contains an unexpected attribute 'Before'.
<!-- ICE27: 'LaunchConditions' Action in InstallExecuteSequence table in wrong
place. Current: Selection, Correct: Search -->

    <!-- for prerequisites that require checking feature and/or component state
and action conditions -->
    <CustomAction Id="PrerequisitesExSql08" Error="[ProductName] requires Sql08
to be installed." />
    <CustomAction Id="PrerequisitesExSql05Ns" Error="[ProductName] requires
Sql05 Notification Services to be installed." />
    <CustomAction Id="PrerequisitesExSql05" Error="[ProductName] requires Sql05
to be installed." />
    <CustomAction Id="PrerequisitesExSso09AndBts09" Error="[ProductName]
requires Sso09 and Bts09 to be installed." />

<InstallUISequence>
    <!-- for prerequisites that require checking feature and/or component state
and action conditions  -->
    <Custom Action="PrerequisitesExSql08" After="CostFinalize">!Databases=2 And
&amp;Databases=3 And Not SQL08DIR</Custom>
    <!--<Custom Action="PrerequisitesExSql05Ns"
After="CostFinalize">!Databases=2 And &amp;Databases=3 And Not
SQL05NSDIR</Custom>
    <Custom Action="PrerequisitesExSql05" After="CostFinalize">!Databases=2 And
&amp;Databases=3 And Not SQL05DIR</Custom>-->
    <Custom Action="PrerequisitesExSso09AndBts09"
After="CostFinalize">!Services=2 And &amp;Services=3 And Not SSO09DIR And Not
BTS09DIR</Custom>

<InstallExecuteSequence>