Hello Ryan,

>From my experience, most of what you want to do in the Install Sequence
you actually need to do in the Bootstrap, some of this information is
actually required as you start the MSI engine up.  You should probably
have a read of the MSI SDK which talks about what is need for multiple
instances.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Parlee [mailto:list...@jesca.com]
Sent: Monday, 19 January 2009 3:32 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] Supporting multiple instances (like SQL Server)

Hello,

I am wanting to allow my users to install multiple instances of my
application, just like Microsoft allows with SQL Server.  Can someone
please point me in the right direction to accomplish the following
install and uninstall sequences.

Install Sequence
----------------
1. Prompt user to "use default instance" or supply an instance name (if
default instance is already installed, "use default instance" should be
grayed out)

2. Verify that instance name is not already used; if it is, do not allow
the user to continue.  Also validate that the instance name does not
contain any spaces or non alpha-numeric characters.

3. Modify HKLM\Software\MyCompany\MyApp\InstalledInstances to append my
instance name (if it already exists, add my name to it)

4. Use the user-supplied instance name in all of my RegistryKeys so that
the RegistryValues get installed as
HKLM\Software\MyCompany\MyApp\InstanceName\XXX.

5. Somehow use the user-supplied instance name within the saved MSI
state so that subsequently installed instances may have entirely
different feature sets and MSI is able to differentiate between them
(i.e. perhaps using two entries in AppWiz.cpl or if possible using a
single entry but allowing user selection during modify/repair/uninstall)

Uninstall/Repair Sequence
1. If using two separate entries in AppWiz.cpl, detecting which instance
I represent.  If using a single entry, prompt user to select an
installed instance to uinstall/repair.

2. Use this instance name to perform the uninstall/repair.

I'm sure that I can figure out Install.1,2 but I'm completely lost with
the rest.  Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan Parlee