Actually, scratch that.  Neither build works on my Windows Server 2003 /
  IIS 6 box, but both work on my Windows Vista / IIS 7 box.

I haven't tracked down why, but looking at the logs,
WriteMetabaseChanges comes before ConfigureIIs on the packages built on
the Vista box, and on the failed builds ConfigureIIsExec comes before
WriteMetabaseChanges.