From: Robert O'Brien
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:28 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: any insights as to why sql extension commands containing public
property references are not working

Any insights as to why the following sql extensions commands that create a sql
login and db user setting work

<Property Id="DATABASESHOST" Value="localhost">

<sql:SqlDatabase Id="MasterDatabase" Database="master" Server="[DATABASESHOST]"
/>

<sql:SqlDatabase Id="Database1" Database="MyDeliverableDatabase"
Server="[DATABASESHOST]" />

<sql:SqlString Id="CreateLoginNetworkServiceDatabase1" SqlDb="MasterDatabase"
SQL="create login [\[]NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE[\]] from windows"
ContinueOnError="yes" ExecuteOnInstall="yes" />

<sql:SqlString Id="CreateUserNetworkServiceDatabase1" SqlDb="Database1"
SQL="create user [\[]NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE[\]] for login [\[]NT
AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE[\]]" ContinueOnError="yes" ExecuteOnInstall="yes" />

<sql:SqlString Id="AddRoleMembershipNetworkServiceDatabase1" SqlDb="Database1"
SQL="sp_addrolemember 'NSRunService', 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'"
ContinueOnError="yes" ExecuteOnInstall="yes" />

but the following similar sql extensions calls where I have the sql login and
db user statements making use of a public property value + the statements
configured to also execute on uninstall rollback, do not work?

<Property Id="DATABASESHOSTNAME" Value="localhost">

<Property Id="DATABASESLOGINLOCALACCOUNT" Value="NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE"
/>

<sql:SqlDatabase Id="Master" Database="master" Server="[DATABASESHOSTNAME]" />

<sql:SqlDatabase Id="Database1" Database="MyDeliverableDatabase"
Server="[DATABASESHOSTNAME]" />

<sql:SqlString Id="Database1CreateLoginLocalAccount" SqlDb="Master"
Sequence="1" SQL="exec('create login [\[][DATABASESLOGINLOCALACCOUNT][\]] from
windows')" ExecuteOnInstall="yes" RollbackOnUninstall="yes"
ContinueOnError="yes" />

<sql:SqlString Id="Database1CreateUserLocalAccount" SqlDb="Database1"
Sequence="2" SQL="exec('create user [\[][DATABASESLOGINLOCALACCOUNT][\]] for
login [\[][DATABASESLOGINLOCALACCOUNT][\]]')" ExecuteOnInstall="yes"
RollbackOnUninstall="yes" ContinueOnError="yes" />

/eom