Hello Joe,

I've been in a similar situation.  The possible solutions I am aware of:

1.  If you schedule the DeleteExistingProduct action at the end of the
install (I think after the InstallFinalise), my understanding is that
the install should calculate that there still is a count of one on the
database component and not remove it.  For other reasons I don't use
this with mine.

2.  Don't use the DropOnUnistall.  Set the database as CreateOnInstall=y
ContinueOnError=y and then have an SQL Script that is set to run
ExecuteOnUninstall that drops the database.  You could then put an MSI
condition into the script eg:  IF ('[REMOVE]' = 'ALL') drop database
[DBNAME].  It gives you a little more control.

For the books.  Because of the nature of data in our server application,
our uninstall does not delete the database at all, the user must
manually (and hence knowingly) drop the database.

PS:  Something to check.  Test what happens if there is a rollback
during (or after) the SQL Install.  My experience was that the rollback
(because this is technically an install of a new database component)
would do the rollback by droping the database.  (I am still on WIX V2
and have a slightly modified version of the SQL Custom Actions).

Mihael