Ref: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368060(VS.85).aspx
        -- SDK documentation pertaining to this issue.

Where the rubber then meets the road [within WiX] is within your directory
elements...if you have any file additions / removals within your directory
table, that impacts file sequencing.  [File sequencing can also be impacted
based upon what version of .NET is loaded (many scars involved in that one)].

Sometimes, you can get by with using DirectoryRef elements for the file
additions.  If you have any merge modules outside of your control that added /
removed files, you're close to being hosed.

There are also some patch enhancements that were made within WiX to better
assist with these types of issues (my knowledge of WiX 2.0 is getting shady,
been in WiX 3.x for quite some time) using such tools as Torch and Pyro (not
sure if they are available in Wix 2.0.5805.0 or not).

If you're using the WI SDK way of building patches (Patchwiz, admin installs,
etc...) and using DirectoryRef doesn't get the job done for you, you can author
a process that 'fixes' the file sequencing between your two admin installs
prior to patch generation.  That's what I resorted to due to the .NET item I
referenced earlier.