This will completely break silent / unatended installations. You should
prompt the user in your installer UI using public properties (they can pass
to the installer whether running silent, basic, or reduced UI (required
then) or in full UI (just defaults then). WiX does have custom actions for
updating an XML file, but the format of the XML file is completely up to
you. XML defines no standard schema, so your service can read whatever XML
schema it needs. It could be incredibly simple like:

<service>
  <server>http://foo</server>
  <id>bar</id>
</service>

So if you needed to customize <server/> and <id/>, you can use WiX's
XmlConfig elements using propeties passed from the UI.

Bringing up notepad is ot a good user experience, nor is it always possible.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Niaz Khan <n...@purecm.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I need some help on wix. The installer works fine it installs the service
> and then starts the service. The service starts as soon as it is installed.
> i want to launch a notepad (Configuration file) in the middle of service
> install and start.
> Ideally I want that when the installation of service is completed the
> installer should lanunch the notepad rather than starting the service
> directly and when the user edits and save the notepad then it should start
> the service.
> I am able to launch the notepad on the exit dialog with a checkbox but i
> want it to be launched in the middle of service install and start.
> I am not quite sure if it is possible in wix.
> After some research on the internet I found that <xmlfile> has been used to
> edit the config files, but I am not quite sure of using this one because my
> config file has multiple sub elements for some elements. I think this
> approach is better when we have to edit small number of values.
>
> I am not sure if someone has used <xmlfile> approach for large config file,
> any other alternatives or ideas will be really appreciated.
>
> cheers.
>

> Niaz
>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
> privileged
> information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy, distribute,
> disclose
> or use any of the information in it. If you have received it in error
> please delete
> it and immediately notify the sender.
>
> PureCM.com Limited. Registered in England and Wales.
> Company Number : 0505 3024
>
> Registered Office : Charter House, Charter Way, Hurdsfield,  Macclesfield,
> Cheshire. SK10 2NG

Heath Stewart
Deployment Technologies Team, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths