From: Joakim Harsman [mailto:joakim.hars...@profdoc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 15:14
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Removing old version not installed via MSI

I'm in the process of migrating an installer that used to be built with Wise
to an MSI built with Wix.

I'd like for the new installer to detect and automatically remove old
versions of the product if present. Is there an easy way to do this? As far
as I can tell RemoveExistingProducts and the Upgrade element won't help
because they only work if the product you want to remove was installed with
Windows Installer.

What's the best way to solve this, do I just create some sort of Custom
action that removes files and registry entries manually using say
RemoveFiles? Do I call the unwise.exe (the standard way the old version is
uninstalled)?

Joakim HÃ¥rsman

Head of development, Profdoc Care
+46-8 440 93 78