Very typical to come up with some ideas myself just after I press send...

Here are two ideas that popped into my head:
1) Build an installer without the library, than use a transform to add
   the missing functionality.

2) This is a bit more of a hacky way:
   - build a binary wixlib
   - extract the cab file from the wixlib
   - make a cab file that is identical but with all files replaced
     with empty files
   - replace the prepended cab file in the binary wixlib with
     the one that has the empty files
   - build against the "hacked" up wixlib, which should be speedy
     because it is unpacking and repacking empty files
   - final step: replace the stream "Library.cab" in the msi with
     the correct cab file using msidb

   note: you only have the make that frankenstein wixlib once for each
         release of the third party library.

Let me know if you have any other ideas and what you think of the
two above.

Best regards,
Kim