You have OnlyDetect set to Yes when you detect the older version, that won't
cause the upgrade to occur.

Phil Wilson

-----Original Message-----
From: Giora keinan [mailto:grkei...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 1:35 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] multiple entries in add remove programs.

Hello
Thanks Sascha, Asker and Neil.
I tried your ideas and still have no idea what is the problem
I am using only 3 digits version (trying to upgrade 1.0.7 to 1.0.8)

following in my upgrade code, maybe you will found what is the problem:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='windows-1252'?>

<?define Version = "1.0.8" ?>

<Wix xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi'>
  <Product Name='CapsCake' Id='*'
UpgradeCode='2638A59D-5047-4E78-87A6-A665B98FA131'
       Language='1033' Codepage='1252' Version='$(var.Version)'
Manufacturer='Gakay'>

  <Package Id='*' Keywords='Installer'
      Description="CapCake $(var.Version) Updater"
      Comments='CapsCake is a  trademark of Gakay.' Manufacturer='Gakay'
      InstallerVersion='100' Languages='1033' Compressed='yes'
SummaryCodepage='1252' />

    <Property Id="INSTALLDIR">
      <RegistrySearch Id='CapsCakeRegistry' Type='raw'
        Root='HKLM' Key='Software\Gakay\CapsCake' Name='InstallDir' />
    </Property>

   <Upgrade Id="474E4E86-1153-4A4D-8ECE-6B1F4D423B24">
      <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect="yes" Property="OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED"
            Minimum="1.0.0" IncludeMinimum="yes" Maximum="$(var.Version)"
            IncludeMaximum="no" />
      <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect="yes" Property="NEWERVERSIONDETECTED"
            Minimum="$(var.Version)" IncludeMinimum="no" />
   </Upgrade>

    <CustomAction Id="AlreadyUpdated" Error="[ProductName]  is
already    installed." />
    <CustomAction Id="NoDowngrade" Error="A later  version of
[ProductName] is already installed." />

    <Media Id='1' Cabinet='CapsCake.cab' EmbedCab='yes' />
<!-->   <Property Id='DiskPrompt' Value="CapCake $(var.Version) Updater
[1]" /> <-->

    <Directory Id='TARGETDIR' Name='SourceDir'>
      <Directory Id='ProgramFilesFolder' Name='PFiles'>
          <Directory Id='INSTALLDIR' Name='.'>

            <Component Id='MainExecutable' Guid='*'>
              <File Id='CpasCakeEXE' Name='CapsCake.exe' DiskId='1'
Source='CapsCake.exe' KeyPath='yes'>
              </File>
            </Component>

        </Directory>
      </Directory>

    <Component Id='CapsAppVersion' Guid='*'>
        <RegistryValue Id='CapsAppVersionKey' Root='HKLM'
Key='Software\Gakay\CapsCake' Name='AppVersion' Type='string'
Value='$(var.Version)' Action='write' />
     </Component>

    </Directory> <!--> of the first dir <-->

   <Feature Id='Complete'  Title='CapsCake' Description='The complete
package.'  Display='hidden' Level='1'  ConfigurableDirectory='INSTALLDIR'>
      <ComponentRef Id='MainExecutable' />
      <ComponentRef Id='CapsAppVersion' />
    </Feature>

    <InstallExecuteSequence>
 <!-->     <Custom Action='AlreadyUpdated'
After='FindRelatedProducts'>OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED</Custom> <-->
      <Custom Action='NoDowngrade'
After='FindRelatedProducts'>NEWERVERSIONDETECTED</Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

  </Product>
</Wix>

Thanks
Giora

Sascha Beaumont wrote:
> Using Package/@Id="*" I'm using the following code - this prevents two
> versions being installed where only the 4th version number differs.
> This is primarily to prevent confusion with internal testing, and
> means that we bump the third version following each public release in
> order to permit upgrades. We only release major upgrades, so I've got
> no idea how the code below would perform in a minor upgrade/patch
> scenario.
>

>   <Upgrade Id="$(var.Property_UpgradeCode)">
>     <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect="yes"
>                     Minimum="$(var.version)"
>                     Property="NEWERVERSIONDETECTED"
>                     IncludeMinimum="no" />
>
>     <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect="no"
>                     Maximum="$(var.version)"
>                     Property="OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED"
>                     IncludeMaximum="no" />
>
>     <!-- Detect for changes in 4th field only -->
>     <UpgradeVersion Property="ANOTHERBUILDINSTALLED"
>              Maximum="$(var.version)" Minimum="$(var.version)"
>              IncludeMinimum="yes" IncludeMaximum="yes" OnlyDetect="yes" />
>
>   </Upgrade>
>
>  <CustomAction Id="CA_BlockOlderVersionInstall"
> Error="!(loc.LaunchCondition_LaterVersion)" />
>   <CustomAction Id="CA_BlockAnotherBuildInstall"
> Error="!(loc.LaunchCondition_AnotherBuild)" />
>

> <InstallExecuteSequence>
>     <Custom Action="CA_BlockOlderVersionInstall" After="FindRelatedProducts">
>       <![CDATA[NEWERVERSIONDETECTED]]>
>     </Custom>
>
>     <!-- Prevent installation on 4th version field change only -->
>     <Custom Action="CA_BlockAnotherBuildInstall" After="FindRelatedProducts">
>       <![CDATA[ANOTHERBUILDINSTALLED]]>
>     </Custom>
> </InstallExecuteSequence>
>

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Asker Brodersen
> <asker.broder...@esri-sgroup.se> wrote:
>
>> Giora, do your versions differ by more than the fourth digit?
>>
>> I have found that if you install 1.0.0.0 and then 1.0.0.1 they will both be
>> listed as installed.
>> Incrementing the third digit (ie 1.0.0.0 to 1.0.1.0) the older version will
>> be replaced.
>> To enable replacement also by fourth digit version increments, this is how
>> my Upgrade section looks like (Id for both Product and Package are '*', and
>> my current build version is '$(var.BuildVersion)'):
>>
>> <Upgrade Id='YOUR-OWN-GUID-HERE'>
>>  <!-- Define the range of old versions that should be upgraded by the new
>> .msi -->
>>  <!-- IncludeMaximum='yes' gives ICE61 warning as it forces upgrade of same
>> version installs,
>>  but is neccesary to upgrade versions that differ by only the fourth digit
>> ie 1.0.0.0 to 1.0.0.1.
>>  Normally only 1.0.0.0 to 1.0.1.0 differences are treated as a new version-->
>>  <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect='no'
>>    Maximum='$(var.BuildVersion)'
>>    Property='OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED'
>>    IncludeMaximum='yes' />
>>
>>  <!-- Detect out-of-order installations -->
>>  <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect='yes'
> [...]

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached
files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys
Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and
Wales with its registered office at Portland House, Bressenden Place, London,
SW1E 5BF (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities
within the Invensys Group, please go to
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.
You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 7821 3848 or e-mail
inet.hqhelpd...@invensys.com. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be
subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its
subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and
affiliates).