Jeff,

Several people including myself have reported seeing this during the
course of an installation. It appears to only happen once in a while so
its very difficult to catch. In fact, I had it happen yesterday when I
was trying to install either WiX or WixEdit (I don't remember which)
onto a Win XP machine. I had to cancel the install and restart it and
then everything was good.

As far as I know this one remains unresolved.

Chris