I've seen the same thing. Although in my case I'm just trying to speed up
localization, not make a patch. It seems to be caused by the -bf flag.
Without it (in which case you'll need to make sure that your WixVariables or
-d flags are referencing the bitmaps and icons correctly in relation to the
.wixout file), everything works fine.

The -bf flag adds a binary stream to the .wixout file, which must represents
the bitmaps and icons. (Note: If you've got custom actions and possibly
wixlibs, you may already have binary data in your .wixout. So, don't get
confused by this if you remove -bf and binary data is still there. Try it
with a bare bones project).

Interestingly, the WixVariable table in the .wixout has the correct value:
the path to the custom bitmaps. Yet, the binary data is pointed at the
default bitmaps if you've used -bf. Somewhat of a mismatch?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is the -bf flag just something to be
avoided when creating .wixout files and you plan on using custom bitmaps and
icons?