Just got done fighting with this and thought I would share with the group.

I first added a Component with a RegistryKey to HKLM\SOFTWARE\MyApp and a
RegistryValue of the property to save during install.  No problems there.

Then I added a RegistrySearch to my Property and pointed it at my key.  I
figured this would work, but it didn't - at first.

Doing many logged installs and uninstalls, what I found was that even though
the registry search was happening, and the property value was indeed set, it
would not pass it in to my deferred custom action.

Lots of trial and error later, I found the solution.  The property has to have
Secure="yes" attached to it.  Not sure why, as it didn't need it during
install.  But during uninstall, if you don't have that, the property doesn't
get passed to the deferred custom action. You just get a blank string.

I read through the Wix and Msi docs on this, and I'm even more confused now.
Orca shows me that the SecureCustomProperties property contains my property
now, and I see in the Msi doc this:

   "The SecureCustomProperties is a list of public properties delimited by
semi-colons. These properties are included with the default list of restricted
public properties that the installer can pass to the server side when doing a
managed installation with elevated privileges."

Indeed, I do use elevated privileges, but I don't get what they mean about a
"managed installation".  Is an uninstall considered managed while an install
isn't?

Is there any other impact or concern about marking this property secure?

Thanks,

Matt Johnson MCPD, MCTS, MCSD, MCDBA
Director of Application Development
Time America, Inc.