> I see. So as I understand it, I have to keep the MSI around while the
> software is installed. Is there a
> recommended location for such cached MSIs? And is it even possible for the
> MSI to delete itself during
> uninstall?
> How does Burn handle this?

If the MSI is installed per-user, it would be recommended to cache it somewhere
in the user's roaming profile (since per-user installations can roam). In the
case of per-machine installation, it should be place somewhere outside of all
user profiles that only someone with admin privileges can change (to prevent
using your software being a vector for an escalation of privilege virus
attack). Don't use private\system directories (such as the C:\Installer folder)
as those are not managed by you and there is no guarantee that the contents
won't be cleaned out underneath you. For this same reason, it is not
recommended to cache it in any "temporary" location, such as under %TEMP%.

There is some software that has cached MSI files in the "C:\Windows\Downloaded
Installations" folder, but that location may be subject to "cleanup" by the
disk cleanup tool. Other locations I have seen include under the Common Files
folder of the Program Files folder, in a hidden folder of the program's own
installation folder, and in custom hidden folders off the system drive's root
folder.

I'm not sure where burn caches, I would have to look in through the source
code, although I believe it is under the control of the UI you add to burn, so
it could potentially be anywhere.