These are not WiX rules but MSI rules and are documented on MSDN site,
somewhere in install patching section.

-----Original Message-----
From: Travis Gaff [mailto:tra...@pc-doctor.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:48 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] How does patching decide which files to include in msp?

Hello WiX users,

I am trying to construct a .msp file to patch a several hundred file
installation.  However I am finding that a large number of files are not
ending up in the final .msp file.  Right now I suspect many of these are
due to both the new and the old version of the file having the same
version number; we're fixing this.
However I have some files that do not have a version number and do have an
internal change but are not in the msp.  They appear to have little
difference from most of the other files, they're all added with individual
components to a .wxs by our build system.

How does WiX decide which files to include in a patch using the pyro/torch
method?

By comparing several files I suspect it does the following:
1) if a file has a version number, check it, if same version skip file
2) if file doesn't have version number but there is a size difference:
patch it? (I haven't verified this)
3) if no version number AND file is same size: diff the file or use
creation date?

What rules does WiX use to determine which files should be included in the
msp?

Background:
All components are in 2 features.  The 2nd feature is a sub-feature of the
first and right now I am not even looking at its 2 shortcuts.
The *patch.wxs file includes:
  <ComponentRef Id='co_mainui.exe' />   (a component of the main feature)
  <PropertyRef Id='ProductVersion'/>   (to update the ARP program version)

The patch is generated using .wixpdb files with torch and pyro:
  candle patch.wxs -dcodepage=1252 -ext WiXUtilExtension
-dtop_projects_dir=C:\projects

  light -o out.wixmsp -cultures:en-us -ext WixUIExtension patch.wixobj
-ext WiXNetFxExtension -ext WiXUtilExtension
-dtop_projects_dir=C:\projects

  torch -t patch -p -pedantic -xi build1.wixpdb build2.wixpdb -out out.mst

  pyro out.wixmsp -out out.msp -t patch out1.mst

I am using 3.5.1916.0, however I had similar issues in 3.0.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Travis Gaff,
Software Engineer
PC-Doctor, Inc.
9805 Double R Boulevard, Suite 301
Reno, NV 89521

CONFIDENTIALITY
The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended
to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by
an authorized designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, be aware that distribution of this message in any form is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and destroy any copy of this message.

TradeStation Group, Inc. is a publicly-traded holding company (NASDAQ GS: TRAD)
of three operating subsidiaries, TradeStation Securities, Inc. (Member NYSE,
FINRA, SIPC and NFA), TradeStation Technologies, Inc., a trading software and
subscription company, and TradeStation Europe Limited, a United Kingdom,
FSA-authorized introducing brokerage firm. None of these companies provides
trading or investment advice, recommendations or endorsements of any kind. The
information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer.