Kevin,

What version of Windows Installer that is installed on your machine has
absolutely no effect when you are building the MSI.  This is not the
version you are targeting but what your machine happens to be using.

The reason I asked about what version you are targeting is that one
possible reason for the problem is that WiX is trying to create an
Installer based around features for an earlier version of Windows
Installer.  If thats the case, the DesktopFolder feature won't exist as
it was introduced in Windows Installer 4 and hence the error.

Unless this installer is purely for you, everyone else who may install
your MSI may not have your version of OS and your version of Windows
Installer and if a users PC has a version of Windows installer that
doesn't support your feature then that will spell trouble.

Your MSI should target a version of windows installer that supports the
feature you are using that means setting the InstallerVersion key which
is part of your package data in WiX.

For version 4, it needs to be at least 400.  Be mindful though that
newer versions of Windows Installer may not be supported on older
operating systems so by setting it to a higher version, you may be limit
the OS's the MSI can be installed upon.

Chris