Not sure whether you mean the Acrobat Reader or another Acrobat
product. If it's the reader did you think of finding the default
application for pdf files ? This can be archived with a CA by
traversing the reg keys

            string defaultApplication =
(string)Registry.GetValue(@"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PDF", "", "");
            string regValue = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\" +
defaultApplication + "\\shell\\open\\command";
            defaultApplication = (string)Registry.GetValue(@regValue, "", "");

Afterwards check if default app exists and cut filename from full path
+ filename. In my understanding this should work as long as the PDF
reader is registered correctly on the system, nevertheless if it's a
Acrobat, FoxIt or some other one. For Foxit I know that it writes keys
not during install but after first starting of the application.