Maybe some words to good sources. Unfortunately for the english
speaking community they are all written in German. Andreas Kerl wrote
several good books about Windows Installer. See
http://www.installsite.biz/de/buecher.htm (German!) for an overview.
There also the english speaking books for Windows Installer are
mentioned.

For "Inside Windows Installer 4.5" he discusses in one chapter WiX and
in another DTF. Additionally he wrote several articles for the German
DotNetPro. But as already mentioned they are only available in German.