From: Bruce Cran [mailto:br...@cran.org.uk]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:30 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Query about use of UAC shield on Install button

Hi,

I have a question about the use of the UAC shield icon on the Install button
when InstallPrivileges="elevated".  According to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511445.aspx, "Tasks that require
immediate elevation when UAC is fully enabled have entry points marked with the
UAC shield. In this case, users should expect to see an Elevation UI
immediately after clicking such commands...".
But after clicking on "Install" the wizard moves onto the next page and it can
take several seconds for the elevation prompt to appear.

I'm wondering if WiX is going against the UI guidelines, or if they instead
mean "immediate" in terms of workflow, not time - i.e. users aren't allowed to
interact with the UI between clicking the button and getting the elevation
prompt, though the UI can update?

--
Bruce Cran