Depending on what of that path can vary from system to system, you could use
[SystemFolder]config\systemprofile\appdata\roaming, but 1) why roaming for a
system (local) service, and 2) can it be some other directory?

If it can be a locked down but shared directory, you might instead use
[CommonApDataFolder], which results to all users' AppData folder. The MSI
documentation has more.

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Miles Waller <miles.wal...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have written an installed for a service using wix, which runs under the
> Local System account.  So far, so good.
>
> Now I want to install some data files that go with the service, under the
> Local System profile's data folder.
>
> On my machine, that means here:
> C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming
> though presumably the path depends on the user's exact set up.
>
> (I got this location by getting the service to create some files when it
> started.)
>
> How do I get WIX to put my data file in the right place in this scenario -
> naively tried APPDATA, but that of course is under the installing user's
> profile and not the local system account.
>
> I've googled around and looked in the docs but can't find anything useful
> on
> this...
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Miles

*Heath Stewart
*Visual Studio Professional Deployment Experience team, Microsoft
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths