Due to my lack of expertise in installers, I think I got into a bad
situation with the wrong installer arrangement and I’m wondering what the
best way out of it is. I’m using WiX 3.0, but this is a more general install
problem so let me know if it’s not appropriate to ask here.

I have an installer that installs two components A and B both within the
same feature. Component A is a device driver and some associated software.
Component B is a third-party library comprised of two DLLs and is used by
the driver/software. This third-party library requires a per-unit license.
We distribute this on CD with the device and so by counting the CDs we can
keep track of the licenses. We began including the library on the CD last
year. But there are older owners of the device who would want to download
the new version. We cannot put this installer on the web for download
because we can’t count or track those licenses.

So the problem is, we want to upgrade Component A with bug fixes and make it
available for web download. But we can’t include component B for license
reasons---because older users shouldn’t get it for free. But if I leave
component B out of the upgrade, I believe the upgrade process will remove B
from the hard disk of legitimate owners of it. (I know if I had at least
made component B as a separate feature, I could specify that it not be
removed and do a major upgrade. But it’s too late at this point.)

My best workaround idea so far is for the upgrade to include dummy DLLs for
component B that have a lower version number than the real ones. So when an
upgrade happens, the real DLLs already on hard disk will be left alone. And
for older users who don’t have the license to the library, they will just
get the dummy DLLs installed. It’s messy, and I hate to think I have to do
this for the life of the product. Is there a better way?

I think for the future I will put component B completely in its own
installer and put that only on the CD. But that doesn’t help the current
problem.

Thanks for any help,

Jim