I've got an undefined preprocessor variable in my .wxs file, but when I
entered it into the "Define preprocessor variables: edit box as
var.Variable=abc it made no difference.  I then tried the probably really
wrong way of

$(var.Variable)=abc

At this stage the Votive editor wouldn't let me undo this change.  Anything
I tried produced the error message:

                The expression """.Variable" cannot be evaluated.  Method
'System.String.Variable' not found

All I could do is close the project without saving it.

PS: Figured out now that I'm supposed to declare it as simply

Variable=abc