Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 10:52:50 +0200
From: Alexander Kriv?cs Schr?der        <alexander.schro...@mermaid.no>
Subject: [WiX-users] Bootstrapper upgrade code detection
To: "wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net"
        <wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

Hey.

According to the Windows Installer specifications, we change the Product Code
of our product with every release (We just use <Product Id="*" ... />) and we
keep the Upgrade Code the same. That way, when the individual MSIs are run,
if any previous versions exist, they are first uninstalled.

At the moment, we're making a bootstrapper for our products, and in this
process, we're also making a custom managed GUI. It detects if a product is
already installed (its PackageState is reported as PackageState.Present) or
not installed (PackageState.Absent). However, if a product is installed, but
the bootstrapper contains a newer version of the product, it is reported as
PackageState.Absent, not PackageState.Superseded, like one would expect.

Is there anything in particular we need to do in order to get this upgrade
detection mechanism to work?

Best regards

ALEXANDER K. SCHR?DER
SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires
that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we
further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY,
UK.