From: Michael Osmond [mailto:mosm...@baytech.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:27 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Create Database failed

Hi

Not sure what the UAC behaviour is, but our install creates and upgrades
databases on 2008, so in theory it is possible.   I am assuming you are using
SQL Server - you can check if it is permissions type issue by looking in the
SQL Management Log - see if there are login problems or other errors around the
create.

I can't find the original blog for this information, but for a login issue
there will be two entries in the SQL log:

2006-02-27 00:02:00.34 Logon     Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8.
2006-02-27 00:02:00.34 Logon     Login failed for user '<user name>'. [CLIENT:
<ip address>]

The State in the first entry gives the actual error:

ERROR STATE     ERROR DESCRIPTION
2 and 5        Invalid userid
6              Attempt to use a Windows login name with SQL Authentication
7              Login disabled and password mismatch
8               Password mismatch
9               Invalid password
11 and 12      Valid login but server access failure
13             SQL Server service paused
16                Does not have access to Database
18             Change password required

Hope this helps

Michael