From: Daniel Pratt [mailto:colorblind...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 15 September 2011 9:12 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] Upgrading one of multiple installed instances, round 2

This post is a follow-up to my previous post(s) in this forum, wherein I've
been trying to figure out a way to reliably upgrade a single instance of a
multiple-instance installation. I had determined to try again to set up the
installation to do a "major upgrade", but it appears I have failed (again).

The issue is this: Once a given instance of a multiple-instance installation
has been installed, there does not seem to be a way to launch the
installation *again* (for that instance) other than in maintenance or
uninstall mode. I've tried many different permutations of command lines, but
the typical error message is "Invalid command line argument.  Consult the
Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help".

Now I suppose that this error message is trying to tell me (in a very obtuse
way) that I can't install the same instance twice. On the other hand, this
error message comes up even after changing the version and product code of
the installation package. At that point, how does windows installer
associate the new installation with the old? Perhaps if I could unravel that
mystery, this whole thing would come together.

At this point, I'd be inclined to believe that "multiple-instance
installation" + "major upgrade" simply isn't possible, but it seems like
some of you have figured this out. What are you using for a command-line
when launching a new version of the installation?

Thanks much.