From: Rob Mensching [mailto:r...@robmensching.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2011 11:58 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Error Code 25543 during ExecXmlFile

1. The code could be changed.
2. Would have to see how you're using XmlFile to know for sure.  Have you
considered switching to XmlConfig? It may be a bit more robust... I haven't
looked in a while.

3. Yeah, IIS is very annoying like that. It see changes to the files and starts
reading the files itself locking out further changes. Took us forever to get
the stupid IIS Custom Actions to behave mostly well.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM, John Cooper <jocoo...@jackhenry.com> wrote:

> Getting the following error randomly on fresh installs and upgrades
> during
> testing:
>
> ExecXmlFile:  Configuring Xml File: <some path>\Web.config The
> installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
> This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is
> 25543. The arguments are: -2147024864, <some path>\Web.config, MSI (s)
> (D0!44) [14:28:50:918]: Product: <some product> -- The installer has
> encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may
> indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 25543. The
> arguments
> are: -2147024864, <some path>\Web.config,
>
> ExecXmlFile:  Unable to save changes to XML file: <some
> path>\Web.config, retry attempt: 1
>

> 1)      Is there any way to suppress or trap these retry errors.  It
> appears that the XmlFile CA retries the save after the sharing
> violation, and it almost always succeeds on the second attempt;
>
> 2)      Looking at the code, I get the impression that I should be getting
> "Abort, Retry, or Ignore", but the dialog that displays has only an "OK"
> button.  "OK" seems to function as "Retry."
>
> 3)      The culprit appears to be IIS7 contending for the web.config.  Any
> tricks to avoid this.  The edit is updating the connection string for
> the database, and it's got to be done or the service won't startup/run.
>
> --
> John Merryweather Cooper
> Jack Henry & Associates, Inc. (Premier Tech, Inc.) Build & Install
> Engineer - jXchange
> Office:  913-341-3434 x791011
> jocoo...@jackhenry.com<mailto:jocoo...@jackhenry.com>
>
> NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it
> are intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is
> addressed. The message, together with any attachment, may contain
> confidential and/or privileged information.
> Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or
> distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
> in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and
> delete all copies.

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC
intended
information.