OK, I'm back where I started. Basically, heat does not create a PayloadGroup
with "-generate". If that option was available this thread would probably
not be here. The help says:

"Specify what elements to generate, one of: components, container,
payloadgroup, layout (default is components)."

However, it only produces components. The default is the only option which
means there is no option.

So here is my next harvest question...

I know the external files are automatically harvested in the msiPackage
element. Is there a way to get this from heat? Or is there an option with
dark? I'm at that point where I manually created payloads that the legacy
setup needs. It  includes an msi that needs 135 other external files. It is
error prone attempting to do this by hand at the least and a chore
regardless.