Thanks !  Yes, it's using the standard bootstrapper.

In the meantime I hunted through the source and found
MsiEngineCalculateInstallLevel, MsiEnginePlanAddPackage and
WiuInitializeExternalUI.. wondering if there is a good way to intercept the
UI level in a custom BA.  Maybe using IBootstrapperEngine somehow ?  I think
we would only need to do this for the uninstall case.

Which BootstrapperApplication are you using? If you're using wixstdba, I
expect it does not handle this scenario well. You'd want to create a BA
that is designed to show the MSI UI instead of it's own UI.