From: Rob Mensching [mailto:r...@robmensching.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:03 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] ERROR_INSTALL_SOURCE_ABSENT: error on update or
uninstallation

This is exactly why Burn caches MSIs for you on the users machine.
One way to fix it would be to get the original MSI and run msiexec /fv . I
believe that would get the original MSI cached again with the new source
location then you can move forward with the upgrade.
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Osanger, Martin < martin.osan...@fabasoft.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the following questions about this msi error:
> ERROR_INSTALL_SOURCE_ABSENT:  Contact your technical support group.
> System Error 1612.
>
> I built a msi package which works fine on 98% of all installations,
> but sometimes on an update or uninstallation the system error 1612 occurs.
>
> In my opinion on nearly all installations where this error occurs it
> couldn't be copied into the cache directory (C:\Windows\Installer). Is
> there anything which I could do, to avoid this error or improve my
> setup so that this error couldn't occur anymore?
>
> I invest a lot of time to search for a solution on the internet but I
> only read the same things about removing the registry key or using the
> Microsoft cleanup utility, but this things aren't the best way for many users.
>
> Kind regards,
> martin

virtually, Rob Mensching - http://RobMensching.com LLC

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or attached
files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its
contents to any other person. This email comes from a division of the Invensys
Group, owned by Invensys plc, which is a company registered in England and
Wales with its registered office at 3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X
7AW (Registered number 166023). For a list of European legal entities within
the Invensys Group, please go to http://www.invensys.com/en/legal/default.aspx.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail
recept...@invensys.com. This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject
to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and
affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).