> James,
>
> I realised the RemoveFolder tags are necesary because I am installint into
> userprofile, not for all users on a computer as I hope it want ask admin
> permission to install.

1.  Drivers run in kernel mode and have complete control over everything on
the computer at the lowest level.  How would you expect to install such a
potentially-dangerous piece of software without being administrator?

There is no such thing as a "per-user" driver install.  There is no such
thing as non-administrators installing a driver.   Any such thing would be a
pretty serious breach of security in any operating system - not just
Windows.

You'd best set up your Windows installer package to install as per-machine,
and not per-user.  I don't see how a per-user installer that loads a driver
would make any sense at all, or have a happy ending.  Ours installs as
per-machine and I've had zero complaints about it.

2.  Why would you need RemoveFolder tags just for a per-user install?
Again, this makes no sense and you shouldn't need them even on a per-user
installation.

> If I remove difx:Driver tag then I can reproduce the file hierarchy -
actually
> not as originally is, since there are two .inf in the same directory. And,
as I
> read somewhere, each driver must be int seperate directory for wix (and
> thus also in a seperate component). I solved it that way that both created
> directories contain it's own subdirectory with x86 files (originally it
was
> common).
> I took a look of all needed files in both inf. files.

Correct, difx:Driver can handle only one INF at a time in a directory.  You
have to install into two separate directories.

> So the bottom line is I can manage to procuse file hierarchy as I wish (as
> suppose is expected).
> When I uncomment difx:Driver tags the same errors as till now:
>
> C:\Users\hob\Documents\WiX\ftdiinstall.wsx(33) : error LGHT0094 :
> Unresolved ref erence to symbol 'CustomAction:MsiProcessDrivers' in
> section 'Product:{E00E5A99- 913D-4C68-98BF-B43A471CD45D}'.
> C:\Users\hob\Documents\WiX\ftdiinstall.wsx(53) : error LGHT0094 :
> Unresolved ref erence to symbol 'CustomAction:MsiProcessDrivers' in
> section 'Product:{E00E5A99- 913D-4C68-98BF-B43A471CD45D}'.
>
> This is when I use: light.exe -ext WixDifxAppExtension ftdiinstall.wixobj
>
> When I use:
> C:\Users\hob\Documents\WiX>light.exe -ext WixDifxAppExtension -ext
> "D:\tmp\ftdi\difxapp_x86.wixlib" ftdiinstall.wixobj
>
> (you see I even tried with absolute path) it says:
> light.exe : error LGHT0144 : The extension
'D:\tmp\ftdi\difxapp_x86.wixlib'
> could not be loaded because of the following reason:
> Could not load file or assembly 'file:///D:\tmp\ftdi\difxapp_x86.wixlib'
> or one of its dependencies.
> The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
>
> This makes me think this is for .net environment.

Well, yeah.  You specified that difxapp_x86.wixlib was a WiX extension.  WiX
extensions are managed .NET assemblies.  So it's no surprise you ran into
this error.  Look at the light syntax for properly linking in a wixlib file.
Wixlib files are NOT WiX extensions, they are very different.